CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: ALL ONLINE APPOINTMENTS WILL BE A GP TELEPHONE CONSULTATION. Please read document for more information-
Change to Appointments- COVID-19
Before booking an appointment, please read guidance on what service and Clinician is best to deal with your symptoms. Click HERE for more information.
In order to be able to book you in with the most appropriate member of clinical staff, our Reception Team may have to ask you brief questions about your medical condition and the treatment you feel you need. This ensures that you receive the proper level of care and at the most appropriate time. Any information you give is strictly confidential and all staff are bound by this. If you feel you wish to speak privately, away from Reception, then please say. If any issue is very private and you do not wish to give details, this will always be respected.
60% of our appointments are available for patients to book and be seen on the same day they make contact with the surgery, whilst the remaining 40% can be booked up to 1-2 weeks in advance.
The same day appointments will be released on our computer system and can be booked online from 19:00 the night before, and again at 07:00 each morning. You can also book same day appointments by speaking to Reception via telephone from 08:00 when the surgery phone lines open.
If you need urgent medical advice during surgery hours, phone the surgery on 01223 234 286. Please be prepared to give some information to the Receptionist so they can book the proper level of care at the most appropriate time.
We encourage patients to use online patient access system. Please read more HERE.
You can request a telephone consultation with the doctor or nurse, which they normally do after their morning surgery. The receptionist will advise you approximately what time you can expect a call you back on the contact telephone number you provide. Please make sure you are available to take the call at the time you are advised.
If urgent care is required please call ‘111’ for further advice. If your need is life threatening, please go to A&E or call 999.
Extended GP Opening Hours in the evenings and at weekend
We offer routine, pre-bookable appointments with a GP or nurse which help you to be seen sooner – often on the same day. The appointment may be at Firs House, Cottenham Surgeries or another Surgery nearby. The surgeries are:
•Nuffield Road Medical Centre, 10 Pippin Drive, Cambridge, CB4 1GL
•Comberton Surgery, 58 Green End, Comberton, Cambridge, CB23 7DY
•St Mary’s Surgery, 37 St Mary’s Street, Ely, CB7 4HF
•Royston Health Centre, Melbourne Street, Royston, SG8 7BS
You will be given a choice on when you would like to book your appointment and information on where to go.
How do you book?
You can book an appointment through Reception on 01223 234 286 who will give you the time, date and venue for your appointment.
These are for non-urgent, routine appointments only. Services we can offer within the Extended Access are -
- GP Consultations
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner consultations
- Nurse appointments offering dressings, asthma and diabetes reviews, contraception reviews, etc
- Health Care Assistant appointments offering ear irrigation, wound care, blood test, etc
- Phlebotomy: Routine blood tests are available within our Extended Access Clinics
Please note that your consent for our clinician to view your medical record will be required in order for an appointment to be booked for you.
If urgent care is required please call ‘111’ or go to 111 online for further advice. If your need is life threatening, please go to A&E or call 999.
For support with the management of minor ailments, please contact your local pharmacist or visit the NHS website.
Patients who cannot be seen
- Patients identified with a potentially life-threatening medical condition which required referral to urgent or emergency care settings
- Walk-in patients
Saturday morning clinics and early morning appointments are available at Firs House Surgery for our extended hours surgeries.
Saturday Morning appointments will be available between 08:30 and 12:00 on:
There will also be early appointments available on some Wednesday and Friday mornings. Please ask Reception for availability.
Follow Up Appointments
If a doctor needs to see you for a follow up appointment, you will be given a slip to take to a receptionist to book an appointment with the doctor you were advised to see.
If you require a chaperone during your visit to the doctor or nurse please inform reception preferably when booking your appointment. Our receptionists are trained to be chaperones during consultations.
If you cannot attend an appointment for any reason please inform us as soon as possible in order for us to give the slot to someone else.